Monday, February 25, 2008

Crazy Pregnancy Issues

I have been lucky in that I escaped morning sickness in both of my pregnancies. However, I seem to make up for it with random other issues.

The first time around I experienced the following issues due to pregnancy:
  • Carpal Tunnel
  • Gastric Reflux
  • Itchy Skin
  • Heartburn

This time around I am have a lot of joint and muscle aches and pains. Today, my left knee began experiencing painful stabs intermittently. I tried running on it but the pain was excruciating. I could barely sleep because of it. (And of course you can't take any real pain meds when preggo)

I experienced this last month as well. My OB says that your muscles loosen up in preparation for childbirth. This isn't always a good thing as you do need some tightness and stability in places like your knees. She said that for some unknown reason things can get worse the second time around.

I've been relatively injury-free (knock on wood) my entire running career so it always freaks me out when something doesn't work like it should. However, everything I read says that things should return to normal after the baby is born.

Oh, the joys associating with bringing forward life...

No comments: